Your Rights MatterAttorney Hallack understands that clients need a combination of aggressive yet compassionate counsel at this time.
Genuine. Diligent. Ethical.Don't choose a Chicago defense lawyer who is in it for the money. I genuinely want to help you straighten out your life!
Free Case ConsultationWhen the stakes are high, you will need a defense strategy that can aggressively and effectively combat any allegations!
Chicago Criminal Conspiracy Defense Attorney
24/7 Availability: Call (888) 412-3741
Conspiracy charges are separate from the underlying crime. That is, a conspiracy is the act of agreeing to commit a crime, regardless of whether the crime occurs. To convict on a conspiracy charge, the government must prove that (1) two or more people agreed to commit a crime, and (2) the defendant knowingly and intentionally joined the agreement.
Contact Attorney Hallock for a complimentary consultation.
Chicago Drug Conspiracy Defense Lawyer
Conspiracy charges often involve drugs because a drug transaction is always an agreement between two people. At the very least, both parties agree on the price and the product. Although the transaction is an agreement, that alone is insufficient for a drug conspiracy charge. Instead, a drug conspiracy requires an agreement to further drug sales.
Factors that indicate a conspiracy are:
- transactions that were given on consignment (returnable if unsold)
- transactions that involved commissions on future sales
- transactions that involved large amounts of drugs or money
- transactions that were given on credit (fronted)
- transactions that occurred regularly
Drug-conspiracy charges carry extremely long prison sentences because the defendant may be responsible not only for drugs that are found, but also for drugs already sold and even for drugs the defendant never possessed. These non-existent drugs are sometimes referred to as "ghost dope." Although the drugs may not exist, the prison sentence is very real.
In contrast to a drug conspiracy is a "buyer-seller" arrangement. For example, buying, selling, or possessing drugs for personal use does not make you a member of a conspiracy. Additionally, merely knowing about a drug conspiracy does not make you a member of that conspiracy. Last, one can be a member of a conspiracy but later decide to leave the conspiracy.
Contact Thomas C. Hallock if you need a skilled and committed drug conspiracy
defense attorney in Chicago.
Call Hallock Law today at (888) 412-3741.
What You Should Do
- Be respectful.
- Calmly record the interaction.
- Ask if you are free to leave. If you do not ask, the officer may think - and the judge may agree - that the interaction is consensual.
- If you are free to leave, go! If you are not free to leave, do not answer and questions before speaking with your attorney.
What You Should Not Do
- Do not physically resist arrest.
- Do not become aggressive or confrontational.
- Do not consent to a search. The Constitution does not apply if you consent.
- Do not answer questions without first speaking with your attorney. Police are allowed to hold you for 48 hours and they may lie to you the entire time.